Friday, February 06, 2009

Goodbye cruel world, I'm off to join the circus.....

It has been very difficult for me to get at this blog entry. Because I ended up taking 111 pictures, there was a lot of "picking and choosing". I am still probably posting way more than I should.

We were scheduled to take a bus trip to Sarasota to tour the John and Mabel Ringling museum. The trip was cancelled for lack of enough people to charter the bus. The weather was still very cold and since there was nothing better to do, Gene suggested we hop in his car and drive there.

To say I was surprised when we arrived at the museum would be a huge understatement. I had NO idea there was an Art Museum (didn't do my homework this time). It was fabulous and seeing as it took so much time just to get through that gallery we were actually glad we didn't go on a bus. We would never have been able to see as much as we did (which was still not enough.)

This was the first sculpture we encountered....how cool is this. I can't tell you how many times during the day I thought about Judy, Kate and Ethan and wishing they all could have been there sharing it with me.

Tiles in the bathrooms.....

While the boys stood in line waiting to purchase the tickets, we girls found the gift shop. I loved these accessories using a Monet motif.



first stop was the Oslo theater for an orientation.....This theater has such an interesting history. As I am going to have a very long blog tonight, I will not go into it but if interested you should google it.

After leaving the orientation we grabbed a map and started our own tour.....first stopping at the Dwarf Garden. There were statues of dwarfs lining the entire path....each one different.


The art museum...


This is one of the prints from the Reubens collection. These paintings were called "cartoons" which is the name given to paintings used to make tapestries.


I loved this painting of the annunciation. these were originally two separate paintings and were on the auction block at Christies. Ringling was able to purchase them for $100 as they were believed to be fakes. As it turns out they were not and are actually priceless. How often does that happen at Christies?????

These were used to carry relics...I think I vaguely remember that from catholic school...


This was one of my favorite paintings.....there was just something about it that made me feel so serene.

We were not allowed any flash photography in the museum. Fortunately my camera is pretty good without a flash. However when we got to this room there was not to be any photos taken.
I took this one before I realized it and glad I did. The whole room was filled with nothing but kimonos.

I think this was my favorite sculpture....strange huh?


And this of course, a replica but so cool.....

Flowers were colorful. The rose garden wasn't in full bloom because of it being winter. With a little imagination you could pretty much know what it would be like in summer.....

Beautiful fountains......

After a lot of Baroque we started to get a little more modern....





Next stop the mansion.....architecture amazing but....the decorator should be shot. Garish....you be the judge.

Ceilings were very busy...

I did like the Tap Room.....windows were spectacular!

Now the patio.....I loved that!!

Then onto the actual circus museum and the most famous clown of all times.....
Mr. Emmett Kelly
The Ringling's private car.


The car is being totally restored.....very plush!

I love a parade......

with real lion cages on wheels......

Hmmmm....something else to add to my bucket list?






Our guide was very knowledgeable and very funny......
Last stop the largest miniature circus collection in the world. Amazing detail!



1 comment:

Uh Oh..... said...

Hi Kadiddly,
your favorite "strange" sculpture depicts "i gemelli" - twins Romulus and Remus, mythologically reputed to have been fathered by the god Mars, and raised from infancy by a she-wolf. They founded Rome, Romulus killed Remus for mocking him (talk about sibling rivalry) and ancient Romans considered him to be the father of Rome. My trivia cup runneth over.