Tuesday, February 24, 2009

I sing water for the flowers...Flowers for the bees...Space on earth for the beautiful trees....

Yesterday was a work day for both Salt and myself but by noon we were ready for a hike. We started out at the Agricultural Center for a walk through the Discovery Gardens. They are (were) beautiful and so interesting. Unfortunately, many of the plants and trees were destroyed during the deep freez Florida experienced this February.

Salt and i have been looking for plants that will bloom this time of year. We found quite a few, but these were two of my favorites. The first one is a "Shrimp" plant.

A "Blood" plant which would add a lot of color during the winter months.....

This is the Topiary/Hydroponic gardens. They reminded us of "Chia Pets" which I am always tempted to send one to each of my kids at Christmas. They always wanted one EVERY Christmas.

Of course, Herb gardens are always one of my favorites. I cook a lot with fresh herbs and have a WONDERFUL garden down here. After seeing these specific gardens I am anxious to plant and try some of these ideas. The first one was all herbs that teas which are used to make teas.....

Beauty and bath herbs.....

And this was something I never heard of.....Scripture herbs!

Several displays of butterflies, insects and beetles.
After leaving the gardens, we drove over to Bourlay State park (Lake Harris) and hiked one of the trails leading out to the lake. Another beautiful trail, and since it was once a farm, it still has many of the orange and lemon trees. They of course have not been kept up over the years, but they still bare fruit.

The lemons, although a bit knobby, were huge.....as large as oranges!


No comments: