Monday, September 21, 2009

I hate to be the one to give you the news....You got the dead car battery blues...

Salt packed up outside and I cleaned the motor home in preparation for our plan to travel to Bennington for a couple of days. Didn't happen.....Salt turned the key and NOTHING. We thought it was the battery but it turned out to be the starter. Salt doesn't have tools to fit the job so we had to bring in a mechanic. Fortunately we were still at the KOA and the mechanic is right down the road. They have ordered a new starter, and will be here at 8:00 tomorrow morning to install it. We then are back on the road.

Being the "Pollyanna" I am, I decided to take advantage of the day and we headed to Rutland to the Norman Rockwell Museum of VT.

I have always loved Norman Rockwell's works. Sometimes I look back at his works and think he must have been reading my family journals.....And I am sure every family in this era felt the same way when their edition of Saturday Evening Post or Boy's Life arrived in the mail.
One of my favorites which wasn't a magazine cover or advertisement......

I couldn't get a good shot of this because of the lights blaring on it....Salt and I got laughing remembering Emma's kindergarten year when she spent half the year eating lunch in the principle's office.....then I looked again and saw the red hair and braids...hmmm, maybe me???

Oh it must be....there are those UGLY brown tie oxfords that my mom made me wear.

Could this have been Dr. Paxton back in Paxton, Nebraska....back when doctors made house calls and died with half the town owing them money....and not even concerned.

What a face.....

The book she is reading is titled....Child Psychology!!! Gotta love it!

I believe this is one of his most famous.....

Yep....there I am with my nurses outfit....did every little girl have one of those in the 50's?????
I have pictures from my 7th birthday party wearing mine!!!

I loved this one....my deceased husband served on the Board of Directors for Goulds Pumps back in the 1980's. We spent many days in beautiful Seneca Falls, NY attending either board or stockholder's meetings or one of Bob Townower's black tie events.....

We saw a poster giving the dates of the Killington "Hay Festival", but had no idea what it might be...that was until we started driving up the mountain. A bunch of the businesses along Route 4 were displaying their creativity with both square and round hay bales. Here are a few of their creations......

Pinocchio......
The mama cow and the "udder" cows..... hey, it's not my joke!!

Tiger.....

Teddy Bear......

Not exactly sure if there is some kind of pun in the name of this Campbell's soup....Powder Chowder????

And the very sad "Tin Man".....


Well, Salt just turned the key and the engine is rolling again....we're off to Bennington. This company was amazing....they said they would be here between 8:00-9:00am and were here at 7:55!!! Stay tuned!

No comments: