Friday, September 18, 2009

Like a Sunday stroll....free and easy down the road I go!!

We are on the road again and ready for a New England adventure. My commitments in Burlington are complete and we are ready to rock and roll. While in Shelburne we toured the Shelburne Museum http://www.shelburnemuseum.org/ ....


The ticket office is in the round barn which houses two floors of antique motorcycles and racing bikes....Salt's thing for sure. I wanted to soup my Florida bike up like this one but he thinks I need the exercise!!!

One of the souped up specials......And of course, the gentleman working this floor was a retired IBMer who knew Bill (my deceased husband) when he was the General Manager of the IBM Essex Junction plant. I cannot believe how small the world really is!!

There was an entire house full of antique decoys (2 floors).....I so wish Frank would take a drive up to VT and get to see these. I know he would love them.

The Carousel Museum was full of memorabilia...including reindeer....

and of course, I never turn down a free ride on the "merry-go-round"......

This was just AMAZING.....description below!!!



This is the building which houses the circus museum. Since there are 42 exhibit buildings within the Shelburne Museum, I took over 100 pictures....It is going to be one of those posts that will be difficult to pick and choose favorites.......


The trees are just beginning to change and are so vibrant. We are anticipating a colorful tour of the New England area.


The famous Ticonderoga .....

her engine room....steam

The dining room......

Once a year the Ticonderoga hosts a Naturalization ceremony....they let the public view it. A bundle of nerves and pride......


The lighthouse which houses many Warren Kimble's famous Early Americana paintings.

One of my favorites.....Salt had a "hard time" appreciating the small head on the large body...LOL
The very talented blacksmith......


The general store where I would LOVED to have shopped....I think I was born in the wrong era...


We went into the weaving display and once again in conversing with the woman demonstrating one of the looms found she lived in Clayton, NY and actually LIVED in the home that now houses the Hand Weaving Museum in Clayton. Her dad was a doctor in Clayton before the depression.

We had a very hard time getting away from her....she so wanted to visit. A lovely lady indeed!!

And of course what would a New England museum be without a covered bridge????

We finished our day with dinner at the Windjammer with my good friend Sherry White. Sherry's husband and my husband Bill worked together at IBM in Essex Junction. Sherry and I met while picking up our children at nursery school and became fast friends. Unfortunately Kraig suffered a stroke and passed away a couple of weeks ago. The timing of our visit was perfect in giving Sherry an opportunity to talk about the tragedy and hopefully cheer her up somewhat in reminiscing about some of the better times.

Yesterday we traveled to Quechee, VT and settled in at the Quechee Pine Valley resort www.quecheepinevalley.com

We are hoping to take a balloon ride over the Quechee gorge. Stay tuned!!

No comments: