Saturday, August 16, 2008

Another summer day has come and gone away.....

Since I have been so negligent in any type of exercise program, I decided to get serious and start taking some time to try and get somewhat fit before leaving for the winter. Instead of trying to be "wonder woman" the first day and ending up not being to move without pain for a week, I decided to start out with a simple walk.

I decided to walk up to one of my very favorite spots on the island. It is a small cemetery on the top of Lawrence Black Hill, where my good friend Frank Augusbury rests. June (his widow) keeps 4 Adirondack chairs in the cemetery and there is just something SO peaceful in sitting down and overlooking the river. It is incredibly serene.

This is the view from the cemetery....
A place of peace......

It seems as though I am always rushing to and from some event and sometimes I never really stop to enjoy the beauteous nature this island provides. I took my camera with me and snapped some pictures which are so simple but so beautiful.
Here is a pile of granite I have walked by for years and am not sure I every really saw it???? Unfortunately the picture didn't pick up the sparkle provided when the sun shone on it.


Fields of weeds to some, are bouquets to my eye.....




I never tire of this view or cease to appreciate the privilege of living on the river!


and at the end of the walk here is my pet deer who insists on visiting every morning and evening....with her twin fawns! The babies scampered away before I could snap the picture.


Last night was the annual "Pig Roast" held at Dodge Memorial Center....another great meal and record turnout.
Doreen Meeks sells raffle tickets...Emma won the wooden puzzle she wanted! Yea Emma!!!


and here are the servers....Brenda Slate, Karen Lashomb, Erma Slate and Yovonne Marra....if there is work to be done, these are the girls that will show up!! I told Brenda I never saw anyone so happy to work all day and then come right back for another night shift! Thanks girls for all you do to make our island such a wonderful place to call our home.

Salt and I joined Tom and Diane Brabant at the dinner table. Tom and Salt work together on many of the island projects.


Doreen made sure all the kids were provided with "goodie bags". Here Emma and a friend enjoy the contents.


And special thanks to the cooks....Rus Beckwith is in the middle, the head chef. On the right is Steve Coolie and unfortunately I did not get the name of the gentleman on the left.....sorry.



The dance was just starting as Salt and I left for the evening. I did manage however, to grab a quick picture of Emma and her friends doing the "Chicken Dance". Her dance partner is none other than Jeff Marra. Jeff is a part of the new generation who are starting to take over many of the island responsibilities. The island will continue to be a great community with the likes of Jeff. He is one of the island's favorite "sons" and we are grateful to have his talent, energy and sense of commitment! Thanks for all you do Jeff!!

No comments: