Saturday, August 02, 2008

make new friends but keep the old....

Beyond the reach of trouble, there's an island where I go
Framed by a majestic river free of any woe. A place where
peace rules every moment and Dame Nature is a friend
nurturing body and spirit, helping me to comprehend.
Days are blessed on my island and after each one is thru
sleep is filled with dreams of heaven until morning breaks anew.
Never do I tire of this paradise God gave to me, for there's
happy satisfaction in each thing I do and see.
So I sojourn when I 'm weary to this place so far apart....faith
is renewed when I visit the dear island of my heart.
Author Unknown


Wow....I said I wouldn't be posting for a few days but guess I have been away longer than I thought I would be. So much has happened in the past 2 weeks, let me see if I can remember in what order things happened.


First, my dear friends Anneliese Strube and Louisa Chernyshov arrived in Clayton on the 22nd of July. We met at Bellas (overlooking the water) for lunch. After not being together for 28 years, we became so involved catching up, we never left until well after 4:00. It rained most of the time they were here, but fortunately we were very content to sit inside and visit. Both Louisa and Anneliesse became widows within the last two years. Their husbands both worked with Bill (my deceased husband) in Essex Junction, VT. At the time we were in VT, we were all raising children and struggling with overworked husbands. It was so much fun at this point in our lives to actually be able to focus the conversations on ourselves and who we really are as individuals, where we have been, and what our future goals are.

We attended a coffee at Andy and Bev Davison's on Thursday morning. It was a great opportunity for the girls to meet and visit with many of my island friends.

The following morning, we were invited to the Adamson's for coffee and Jim's homemade doughnuts. He has perfected his recipe, and I plan to steal his idea for an outside doughnut cookout when we get back to our winter home.

Enjoying the finished product!! Jim and Ellen are in the back row....Anneliesse on the left and Louisa on the right.

We took a short tour around the island, stopping at the Quilt Show which was held in the Carriage House, a visit to June Augusbury's to take in her magnificent flower gardens and a stop at Acorn Studios.



We took a jaunt down river and stopped at the Boat Teak, where both of the girls managed to find some nifty souvenirs. The store is located above a boat house on Bluff Island. It's a lot of fun, as you can simply tie up at the dock and shop til you drop!!!

Leaving the island....after a very cathartic visit!
and a favorite sight for all visitors...watching for the freighters in the shipping channel.


After dropping the girls off, Betty, Rachael and I headed to the Syracuse airport to pick up Robin. Thunderstorms all over the country and air traffic was a nightmare. She was to arrive at 11:30 p.m. and never made it in until after 1:00 a.m on Saturday. Consequently, it was close to 4:00 a.m. before we arrived back on the island. Sunday we attended "Old Homes Day" at Potter's Beach and then left to take Robin back to the airport. Salt, Rachael and I dropped Rob off and headed back to the island. We stopped in Cicero (about 15 minutes from the airport) for gas and received a distraught call from Robin, saying her flight had been cancelled until 5:00 the next morning. Since she was going to miss a day of work anyway, she decided to go back to the river for another day and take a late afternoon flight the following day. We stopped at Plainview Farms (where they serve turkey dinner 364 days of the year....they close Christmas day) for dinner and headed back to the river ....again!

Rachael, Salt and Robin....Old Homes Day!


After "mom" left for VA Beach and Emma left for Camp, Rachael was a bit lonesome. She was delighted when she was able to spend a couple of days with Paige Durdon. Here they are making homemade ice cream.........
Thursday evening, Betty took Rachael while Salt and I attended a cocktail party at the homes of Ron, Carol and Lisa McDonald along with Joan Flint. The weather was beautiful ....great turnout.

Meg, Abbey and Lisa, preparing the goodies!


This was my first opportunity to catch up with LoLita Pheiffer since her return to the island. Stub, of course, always wants to hop in a picture with a pretty woman!! Salt actually had more of an opportunity to visit with LoLita and he managed to talk her into (which I don't believe was very difficult) being our guide for a month long trip to Alaska. LoLita's son is a commercial fisherman in Alaska and last year she worked for awhile as one of his crew . Nothing firm has been established but I certainly want to pursue the trip in the near future! Alaska is the only state in the Union I have not visited!!

Lauren Ennis Sardi, Janice McPhail and Sally Boss....enjoying the evening.

Friday afternoon (August 1) Betty, Rachael and I headed to the Adirondacs and Camp Trefoil, the Girl Scout Camp to pick up Emma after her weeks stay. Rachael was very glad to see her...life on the island was just not quite as much fun without Emma!! We were informed (by Emma) within 5 minutes of our arrival that next year she would be attending the "horse camp" which of course is about twice the price!!! She earned several more badges and received a couple of special awards for good behavior and....."Best Rain Boots"???????? Whatever!!

Rachael and Emma attended a Hawaiian Luau last night...they are at the beach today and will go to the dance with Betty and Frank this evening. Grandma gets to stay home, do laundry and start cooking for the next crew coming in. My niece Evelyn will be coming in with her boyfriend Ethan. They will arrive on Monday, stay until Thursday and then the following morning, Mike, Robin, Sarah and Dave will be here. They will be staying the weekend and taking Rachael home with them. I can't believe the 6 weeks are already over. Rachael certainly had a summer filled with wonderful memories she can take back to VA. We will miss her!

No comments: