Friday, July 24, 2009

If a picture paints a thousand words.....

Gene wanted to check out the Eisenhower Lock system in Massena. We took the @ 2 hr. drive along the scenic Seaway Trail.


We lucked out....as soon as we parked and approached security, the guard said that another ship was not scheduled for an hour and a half. However, it was early and was 10 minutes away.

We checked out the lobby with all the pertinent information on the locking system.

I loved this ship the kids built to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the lock.



Here is the freighter approaching the lock.......

Entering the lock....check out the tight squeeze!


Here she is locked in and rising.....

Once she is up .....the gate opens and the ship is on it's way. Amazing. A few years ago I traveled up the Rideau Canal (with my good friend Emmy Sorth) from Grindstone to Ottawa and went through several locks (10 day trip). It was quite different however watching a ship this size go through.

While we were so close, we decided to make a stop at the Remington Art Museum (Ogdensburg, NY). I love Frederic Remington's art and sculptures and the museum has always held a soft spot in my heart as, my friend Frank Augusbury (who I helped care for his last 2 summers on the island) was the CEO for several years and a generous contributor.

Oh yeah....that little guy in the corner is "Flat Stanley". He belongs to our friends' grandson (pre school). Stanley came along with us on all of our adventures. The kids will compile Stanley's adventures as a history lesson.


Mr. Remington had a summer cottage in Chippewa Bay (on the river) and spent as much time as he could here....it was one of his greatest loves.

Mr. Remington cast a bronze statue of Frank (Augsbury) on his pony when Frank was about 5 years old. It sits in June's foyer in and is a great conversation piece. Frank also owned many of Remington's original paintings.

In one showcase, it explained all that went into actually doing a bronze sculpture. I won't post all the pictures but it is a very interesting display. From sketch to wire to wax to clay and then plaster to bronze. The detailing is amazing!!
Wire.....


Clay......



Some of the artwork....



One of my favorite sculptures....


A pen and ink.....an old trapper....


Of course I couldn't keep my camera from clicking....I will however stop here on the blog.

No comments: